Monday, March 19, 2012

I’m Back!


I’m Back!

Yes, I’m back!  Did you miss me?  Every now and then I thought about you all, but it’s hard to think of anything but Hawaii when you’re there.  When we first got to the condo we stayed in I went on the hunt for LEDs.  Sadly, there were none there.  At first I thought I stumbled across replacement lights in the supply closet, but upon closer inspection of the packaging, they were CFLs.  For a place very concerned about its environment (no plastic bags on the island – at all), I was surprised not to find any.  When we got back home, we found that the light in our fridge had burned out.  So my husband, being the clever man that he is, decided to replace the bulb with an LED.  Sadly, the only one close enough in bulb size had “laces” that were too small for the fixture, so it was back to incandescent.

Cruising around our website it looks like we have a couple new additions since I’ve been gone.  The products are GE, and I’ll review them one at a time.  First up is the GE Energy Smart ® Dimmable 50W Replacement (12W) PAR 30 LED Light Bulb Warm White (Energy Star ® qualified) – LED12DP30S/FL/TP.  

As the name says, the bulb uses just 12W of energy to produce the same output (740 lumens) as the 50W flood light bulb it replaces.  Replacing one incandescent bulb with this LED can save over $104 in energy costs over the rated life of the light versus a standard halogen PAR30 (based on $0.11/kWh).  Like other LEDs, it has a 25,000 hour lifespan – 25 times that of an incandescent and around 2.5 times that of a fluorescent bulb – and is recyclable, since it contains now pollutants.  It has a beam pattern of 35 degrees.  It fits a standard 110-120V AC outlet and has an E26 standard screw-in base, which fits standard light sockets.

Another plus, GE outdoes itself with this bulb.  It gives off up to 50% more light than a standard GE PAR30 LED.

Maybe the next time I go on vacation I’ll pack a couple of LEDs with me – as a gift for my host.

http://www.agreensupply.com/ge-energy-smart-r-dimmable-50w-replacement-12w-par30-led-light-bulb-warm-white-energy-star-r-qualified-led12dp30s-fl-tp/

No comments:

Post a Comment