Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Philips Wins L Prize for Latest 60W LED Replacement Bulb


Philips Wins L Prize for Latest 60W LED Replacement Bulb

I almost forgot about you all.  It was not a good day to be a mom for me – my son had a major meltdown this afternoon which resulted in me sending him to his room.  I’ve only sent him to his room once before and he knows it’s the ultimate punishment, so he was as angry as I was.  But I stayed strong and didn’t break down when I heard his pitiful whining and crying from behind the closed and locked bedroom door.  Shortly after, I heard the door unlock, but not open and a while after that I didn’t hear a thing – he’d passed out.  I know if I had given in and let him out or gone in to talk to him, he would have continued to be cranky and difficult, so I gave myself a pat on the back and went in to read for a while – and fell asleep myself.

Many companies that manufacture LED products are getting a pat on the back as well.  Especially Philips.  Recently, it’s EnduraLED™ Dimmable 60W Replacement (10W) A19 LED Light Bulb was the winner of the U.S. Department of Energy’s L Prize®.  It’s the first of its kind (an A19 60W incandescent replacement) to win the award.

What is the L Prize®?  It’s a DOE-sponsored technology competition that challenges lighting manufacturers to test the limits of energy efficiency to develop a high-quality solid state (LED) lighting product to replace traditional incandescent light bulbs.  The L Prize® was established in response to the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 with the hope of finding the best replacement for the most widely (and inefficient) light bulb – the 60W incandescent.

Why did it win?  Well, pretty much because it’s an LED.  It provides more light than a standard bulb while consuming only 10W of power – an 83% energy savings compared to the 60W incandescent it replaces.  It also boasts a whopping 94 lumens/watt efficacy and a 92 CRI (color rendering) light quality rating.  It even lasts longer than most LEDs, with a life of 30,000 hours.

Like other LEDs, it has an “instant-on”.  It is dimmable down to 10% of full brightness and emits virtually no UV/IR light in the beam, meaning colors around the bulb will not fade.  The bulb contains no mercury or other hazardous wastes and is completely recyclable.  Another perk: it’s made right here in the USA.

http://www.agreensupply.com/philips-enduraled-tm-dimmable-60w-replacement-10w-a19-led-light-bulb-winner-of-l-prize-enduraled-10w-a19-led-winner-of-the-l-prize/

No comments:

Post a Comment