Sunday, April 29, 2012

Conference in Singapore Points Out Importance of LEDs


Conference in Singapore Points Out Importance of LEDs

When I told someone I work with why exactly I was late one night, he chuckled and said “that happens sometimes.”  I woke up late – or just in time to get dressed and leave the house.  I added that I didn’t have any time to write my blog.  After telling me a bit about his own, I told him mine was about LED lighting.  He’s the first person who hasn’t said “what’s that?”  Instead, he said “LED is lights are so cool.  You can do so many different things with them.”  Yup.  That’s one of the things I love about them too.  We didn’t get into the nitty gritty of it all, but I could tell if we went any deeper he’d be able to keep up with the conversation.  If I would ever go to a conference, like SEMICON in Singapore, I’d meet plenty of people who probably know even more about it than I do.

At this year’s SEMICON Singapore, SEMI led a forum that brought the pioneers of the industry together with the world of academia to discuss state-of-the-art technologies and business opportunities with a future outlook.

One such matter discussed was that achieving energy-efficiency with lighting is more important than ever.  That’s because artificial lighting consumes about 19% of total energy generation worldwide.  A good solution?  LEDs, and by now, you know why.  Additionally, as one speaker – a professor at UC-Santa Barbara pointed out, the US Department of Energy has estimated that in 2030 the energy savings from LED lighting (in the US alone) would top $250 billion, or the equivalent of 50 Gigawatt-size power plants.

The energy consumption of artificial lighting can be reduced possibly but 50% with LEDs if new performance goals are met.  If that’s the case, then we could see an even greater reduction.
What’s this mean?  It means I shouldn’t be just saving money to move, but saving money to do a full LED makeover when we get there!

This year’s conference was held April 24th.

http://www.ceasiamag.com/article/aixtron-asm-ntu-philips-lumileds-and-university-of-california-santa-barbara-share-insights-into-the-led-technologies-at-semicon-singapore/8462

No comments:

Post a Comment